Mermaid Theatre of Nova Scotia presents
Leo Lionni’s Swimmy, Frederick, and Inch by Inch
Technical /Hospitality Requirements 2013-14
(updated 25 January, 2013)
• Cast of 2 performers and one Stage Manager (total 3 persons).
• One hour performance including a recorded pre-show announcement and a post-show Question and Answer period if time permits.
• Start times: because of their tight travel schedule, the company would appreciate close adherence to start times. If the performance is late in commencing, it is possible the question and answer period may be cancelled or curtailed. This will be at the Stage Manager’s discretion.
• Mermaid’s Stage Manager will contact the venue in advance of the engagement to confirm the company’s arrival time, technical requirements and to answer any questions.
• We require a minimum of 4 persons for load in/out and set up/strike. Breakdown of the persons are as follows: 1 Lights, 1 Sound, and 2 others to assist with setup of puppets and curtains units. Please note: only lighting and sound tech will be required for the running of the show.
• Stage area, loading doors, and dressing rooms need to be cleared to allow the company to set up immediately upon arrival and up to 90 minutes following the performance.
• Stage should be swept and mopped just prior to the company’s arrival.
• No food or beverages should be permitted in the theatre.
• Set up: 2.0 hours plus 1/2 hour house. Strike: up to 90 minutes.
• We require advance notice of any striking or resetting when our set is in place overnight.
• MINIMUM DIMENSIONS OF STAGE – 35’ wide x 30′ deep x 14′ high. These dimensions refer to an unimpeded space, free of hanging lights or heating ducts. Please ensure wings are cleared.
• A darkened auditorium is necessary and a black stage floor preferred.
• Mermaid travels with a self-supporting, free standing set consisting of four small curtain units.
• House masking to be provided by venue: Legs and borders, preferably black. No more than a 30′ proscenium opening. Pipe and drape will also be acceptable. Stage Manager will confirm masking specifications prior to engagement date. Please have hung prior to the company’s arrival.
• Two dressing rooms for three people. The rooms should have mirrors, chairs, tables and lights. They should be clean, well lit, lockable and ready for the company upon arrival and up to 90 minutes after the performance.
• Toilets and sinks, with paper towels and soap, must be in close proximity.
• Availability of a small table (2x4ft.) would be helpful.
• Availability of standard stage weights or sand bags.
• The company requires the service of a professional lighting technician to operate the venue’s lighting.
• A dimmable house lighting system will be required.
• We require a small dimmable house plot with a minimum of one stage wash (warm).
• A lighting plot, channel hookup and instrument schedule will be provided by the Stage Manager upon request that will be used in addition to the house plot.
• Please provide running lights stage right, left and upstage centre.
• The company travels with 4 double fluorescent units. They are controlled by the Stage Manager from the stage right wing area. None are patched into the house dimmers.
• Pre-hang all lights whenever possible.
• The company will use the house sound system, and requires the service of one professional audio technician to operate the venue’s sound.
• We will provide a DVD player, iPad, or similar technology, with stereo XLR outputs to be patched into the house system.
• The company requires backstage clear-com or similar means to communicate with the technical crew during the performance–wireless preferred.
• We require a microphone (wireless if available) off stage right for pre-show announcements and question and answer after the performance.
• The playback will be run through the front of house speakers. We require two monitors for the performers that should be placed in either down stage corner.
• It is important that all sound be set up and operational before the company arrives.
• The company travels with one video projector and one rear projection screen on a self-supporting frame.
• Both sound and video source from backstage.
• Accommodations (when applicable, per Agreement): 3 single hotel rooms of 3-star quality or better, within a 20-mile radius of the venue. Engager agrees to advance hotel details to the company directly no less than 3 months prior to performance date.
• Plenty of bottled water (or potable water source) and coffee/tea should be made available.
• The presenter is to supply a light lunch (i.e. veggie/fruit platter, soup, sandwiches). Please confirm any dietary restrictions with the Stage Manager during the advance.
• The payment cheque, made out to “Mermaid Theatre of Nova Scotia,” house counts and any relevant publicity materials (posters, programs, press releases etc.) must be made available to the Stage Manager before the Company’s departure.
• For school performances, a number of evaluations will be handed out to teachers. These will be provided upon the Company’s arrival. Digital copies are available in advance upon request.
• Please note that the company’s request for complimentary tickets is covered under the terms of our contract and will not normally be waived. The Theatre will be prepared to release these seats upon request two weeks prior to the engagement.
MEET AND GREET
• The company will be pleased to accept requests to “meet and greet” special guests. Should this activity be scheduled following a final performance, it will be essential to have extra crew on hand to facilitate a prompt load-out following the event. Please contact the Stage Manager in advance if a meet and greet is requested.
SIGN LANGUAGE INTERPRETERS
• The company should be notified in advance if sign language interpreters are to participate. They will be located off stage right or off stage left and dimly lit with an isolated “special” blue gel. A copy of the script is available upon request for interpreter preparation.
• In the interest of safety we would appreciate having the audience away from the performance and working area as our equipment and set pieces are fragile. However, with permission and advance notice, supervised visitors are most welcome at the close of the show.
• Cameras and video cameras are prohibited during the performance; they are, however, permitted during the post-show Q and A session.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
• We can be reached by telephone at 902-798-5841, by fax at 902-798-3311 or by email at email@example.com.
• If your venue doesn’t meet technical requirement specifications please contact the general manager Lisa Gleave at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note – This rider may not be changed in any way without permission from Mermaid Theatre of Nova Scotia.